Tuesday 10 September 2013

About Time!

Ever find yourself muttering these words to someone or something? I, like many people, tend to wish my life away - or so it seems. I call it the itchy feet syndrome.

It all started when I heard the droning sound of the school bell - the death of me first thing in the morning yet my new lease of life when the clock struck 3.30pm. On this occasion in particular, it was the latter. The last EVER time I would hear this deafening noise - school had ended for good, about time!

And so a few months later, onto university I went... the best years of my life! I got to meet a lot of great people; some perhaps a little too zany for me, and others so controversial that they all became walking variations of one another, but nevertheless, great people. I had a lot of friends whilst at school but was never one of the outgoing, crazy characters that would risk putting a foot out of line just to create some drama in the classroom. No. I was the sweet, innocent girl who enjoyed this drama but only from the outside looking in.

I figured, however, that university changed me slightly, and for the better. I felt a stronger, more opinionated character that was brave enough step over the line, as many encouraged me to push my limits. Dare I say it, I was becoming a young woman. As fourth year drew close and the stress of the dissertation turned everyone into their own form of Victor Mildrew, I, again suffered the itchy feet syndrome and wanted it all to be over. I was fed up of being a skint - yet somehow partying every other night - student, and most of all I was fed up studying. I wanted to put my theory into practice, get into the real world, and get a proper job.

It was Friday 20th April, 2012. Deadline day. Me, being the overly-organised character that I am, had completed my dissertation two days ago (although reluctant to admit it) and was glad to eventually wake up on this day, about time!

Everyone, I think, leaves university with great expectations of becoming the next Richard Branson, Simon Cowell or even Victor Mildrew. Yet I found this whole ordeal as one giant anti-climax. I graduated from Edinburgh Napier with a 2:1 honours degree (2% off a first I must add!) and yet it took me many interviews all around the UK and a whole year just to secure a position within my field - I eventually became the Brand Developer for a young Scottish creative design agency. It would seem all of my dreams had come true, yet even with my itchy feet syndrome still ticking away inside, this time I cannot find the words to say 'about time', for once I feel like I am not quite there yet and beginning to question what it is that I am striving for exactly?

So in the meantime, I figured it's time to start a blog to keep my itchy feet at bay. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment